Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Matisyahu

I've been avoiding the phenomenon that is Matisyahu, or so I thought. I happened to hear one of his songs today and I realized I was unknowingly listening to him all summer at BMC, and kind of liking it. Weird. I just thought it was normal reggae. Last year M met him when he was handing out fliers in Amherst for a show. M and S had his picture up on their fridge all year long. What's also weird is that he's from White Plains, is the son of my cousin's school teacher, was born the same year I was, and I'm almost positive I hung with him at a Phish show once.
Stranger things have happened. For instance, my friend JM and I drove to Limeston, ME in 1998 for a 2-day Phish bonanza. This was back in my pseudo-dirty trust-fund hippie era. After the 3 day drive in a car that didn't go faster than 60, didn't go in reverse, and had no radio, and a 3 hour wait to get into the parking lot, we parked, stepped out of the car, and were immediately approached by a Hare Krishna man. He was nice, just wanted to give us a book and welcome us. He wished us a good weekend, and went on to talk to some other kids.
This was in August. Fast forward 4 months to December, Christmas time. I'm in LAX with M's mom. She's dropping me off for my flight to NY and we're walking to the gate (back when non-passengers could go to the gates). A man walks up to us, he's a Hare Krishna. He wants to preach something or other to us and M's mom is about to tell him to fuck off when he says, "hey, I know you" to me. No shit. He says he remembers me from the show in ME. Now, I've only known M's mom for a short time at this point and I know she's thinking I'm a crazy find, but she's cool. Just laughs it off and the Hare Krishna man wishes us well and goes on his way.
Now, I love coincidences as much as anyone, but I've always thought this was strange for two reasons. One- besides the movie "Airplane", I've never before, and never again seen a Hare Krishna in an airport. Two- he must have had a photographic memory, cause, yeah I'm cute and all, but there's nothing terribly memorable about me after talking to me for 1 minute.
This really had nothing at all to do with Matisyahu did it? Oh well.
I forgot to update on my fabulous trip to NY. Thank you to all my hospitable hosts. I had a grand time walking the streets with E, eating GF food until I burst, sleeping on J's uber-comfy couch, visiting D in the hospital (not exactly fun, but nice to see him), chilling with M and R in the Slope where the local greeting is 'fuck you', and bonding with my noseless niece. Meow.
I'm tired now.
Good nicht.

2 comments:

afroskully said...

fibber... you never had a trust fund. and the slope greeting has changed..its no longer fuck you, now its just a snide "hummph" with a disgusted look out of one eye while the other eye looks at his/her chai latte.

Evan Kessler said...

for a minute I thought GF was a person. That one took me a second. I didn't remember hanging out with any GF. Oh, and by the way I've linked to this site in my numerous other blog ventures.