Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Au revoir

I promised J another update before my excursion to CA, so this one is especially for her:

I met J in 1984 on a Circleline cruise around NYC (right?). We were on a kindergarten trip, and our mums were there too. J was eating an ice cream cone and some of the vanilla was dripping through the hole in the bottom onto her shorts. It must have been warm outside. I liked ice cream, so therefore I liked J immediately. This is how it was when you were 4.

I was a shy little girl, but J was even shyer. When introduced, she hid behind her mum, clutching her leg with sticky fingers.

Pretty soon I was spending most of my waking hours with J. This continued for 14 years or so. Chicken pox, bad hair, French braids, braces, crayfish, camps, Florida, hiking, green wrist fanny-packs, our insatiable cynicism, cars, college, etc. I’m sure I’m missing a few key moments here, and really, all of the memories blend unless I’m looking at a photo album.

J is now a successful businesswoman (tee hee) who would like to travel the world and raise puppies. She is a city girl who likes tasty food and walking through parks. She hates being a bridesmaid and her middle name. And nobody puts J in a corner.

I'm off to CA on Friday and will be in the middle of the woods with no phones or computers or roof over my head until late August. I will miss J and all of my other friends and family members, but I trust that we will learn to once again correspond the old fashioned way.

Goodbye lovelies.

No comments: