I asked M to light the candles last night during dinner and when I didn't say the
prayer he started in with "Our Father Who Art in Heaven". There's something funny about two atheists lighting the menorah while eating pork sausage jambalaya. At least we weren't drinking milk though, right?So I've been thinking a lot about two things lately, food and politics. I guess these aren't so surprising, considering my job and the fact that I live in NH.
I taught a couple of middle school classes this week and couldn't help but notice how an overwhelming number of these children are overweight. I know it's been all over the news in the past few years, but it's really startling to see it up close.
So I taught the kids about healthier fast food options, serving sizes, and the food pyramid. The one thing that really got their attention was the bit about French fries. First, I asked them if they know what the #1 favorite vegetable in America is. They say potato. Then I ask them what are Americans favorite way to eat potatoes. They say fried. And then I ask what are they fried in. They usually say butter or oil. Then I open up a tub of Crisco shortening and stick my hand in it and show the class. They always scream "GROSS", and "ARE YOU GOING TO EAT THAT?". In the other hand I hold up a 5 lb. fat model, and then a model of a clogged artery and talk about trans fats, among other topics. At the end of the class, there is always someone who says "I'm never eating French fries again". I don't really believe them, but hopefully I'm helping them make somewhat healthier choices. And on to politics. I'm going to vote for the (democratic) candidate with the best health care and education plans. That's it.
Happy holidays, happy voting, and Eat in good health.
J
No comments:
Post a Comment