Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Gut Yohr

I am back from L.A. with beautifully pedicured feet, the box sets of My So-Called Life AND Freaks and Geeks, an electric toothbrush, and the new Junot Diaz novel, "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao". I am in love with this writer. I first read a short story of his in the New Yorker and then read his first novel "Drown", a collection of short stories. It's vulgar and delicious. I highly recommend it.

I am also back with a well-healed fiance. M was rear ended on the 405 Freeway by a woman who was then rear ended herself by a truck before hitting M again, who then hit the car in front of him. His mom's car was totaled, but he escaped with a mild concussion, a neck sprain, and some serious soreness. And no one was killed, so that's good news. I feel somewhat responsible since he was on his way to the airport to pick me up. It's not a good feeling to turn your phone on after a 5 hour flight to have 7 new voice mails. I knew something was up, cause I'm just not that popular.

So once he was feeling better, we got to enjoy the vacation, which mostly consisted of thrift shopping, eating, and seeing Sweeney Todd. I really did love the movie (despite the somewhat gratuitous goriness) perhaps a little more than the average person since I have a special connection to the play. My bro played the gay sailor Anthony in his high school production (OK, he wasn't gay in the movie, but you should see the actor in the 1982 play with Angela Lansbury).

So back to my shopping expedition. Every year I drag M to West Hollywood for their lovely thrift and vintage shops.
This year I got a Petro Zillia skirt for $6. I'm not really into fashion, as you can probably tell, but it was an awesome find. I did some research (I've had some time on my hands) and it turns out it originally sold for about $200. I also got a cute black dress ($18) and some cowboy boots, which sounds silly, but I've ALWAYS wanted a pair. I wanted red ones, but I settled for brown. I'm not sure if I can pull them off, but I've been wearing them everyday anyway, with knee high striped socks and my new green skirt.

So now I'm back and I have to get over this consumerism high that washes over me every Xmas. I think the snow will cure me. And the incessant parade of politicians. And the lack of funds. Happy New Year.

No comments: