Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Noshing around

I made the greatest unnecessary purchase this week and I'm very excited about it. It's an air popper. For popcorn. For snacking
I suppose it's the result of 1. an insatiable craving for popcorn, and 2. having no microwave. I've been microwave-free for 1 year and 8 months now. This is also the amount of time I've been t.v.-free, and the amount of time I've been diversity-free (read as: a NH resident). In July I will have lived here for 2 years. That's a lot of time to spend in one place. Well, a lot of time for me to spend in one place. I'm getting that springtime urge to move. M is applying all over this here grand country for jobs, so we may end up in NM or CA or MI or CO or FL or MN or NY or IL or, well, you get the idea. Half of me wants to get the fuck out of NH, while the other half wants to stay and be cozy with my friends, familiar places, and jobs. He's also applied locally, and I guess I'd be OK with staying. Maybe. Not sure. Perhaps.
If we do stay, I have some potential good stuff that can happen for me job-wise. If I go, I can start fresh and maybe find one full time job with benefits, instead of 3 part time jobs with crap.

In other news, my eyes are still itchy as hell. It looks like I got beat up, resulting in two black eyes, and then rubbed lipstick all around them. Pleasant, no? I'm going to the eye doctor tomorrow cause the dermatologist can't see me until April, and that's just ridiculous.

M handed in the 3rd draft of his 403 page novel to his professors today. Then he got a little loopy and started mumbling and then fell asleep. He'll be all better in the a.m. I would say lovely things about how wonderful and talented he is, but he reads this blog too and I don't want him to get a big head.

This is the time in the blog when I give out free and unsolicited nutrition advice (I thought I'd start a new trend). Here you go: Make half of your grains whole grains. What the fuck does this mean, you may ask yourself? Well, if you're supposed to have 6 servings of grain/day (grain= bread, rice, cereal, etc), three of those servings should be a whole grain (whole grain= whole wheat bread, whole grain cereal, oatmeal, quinoa, barley, brown rice, etc.) What's so fucking important about whole grains, you ask me? Well, whole grains have fiber. You need 25-35 grams of fiber everyday. Getting enough fiber can help prevent heart disease, cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, help with weight management, and it can even make you fly. OK, I lied about that last part. Oh, and guess what? Popcorn is a whole grain. I'm not lying this time.

Maybe I'll start a blog called "Ask the foul mouthed dietitian". What do you think?

Tune in next week when I'll answer the question "How the fuck do you expect me to eat 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables everyday?"

No comments: