Saturday, March 08, 2008

Strange Frukht

I have an unnatural attachment to NPR. I think I may be addicted and it's affecting my music listening. The weekends are the best. If you haven't listened before, you have to check out "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" and "This American Life". Actually, do this right now. Go here: Scroll down and click "Full Episode" on the right side. Then fast forward to 41:05 to listen to "Babies Buying Babies". Stick with it. It's 16 minutes long and it's brilliant. You will thank me! I promise. I really do.

And now for your weekly nutrition update. Last week we answered the question "What the fuck is a whole grain". This week I'm going to answer "How the fuck do you expect me to eat 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables (f/v) everyday?"

First, I'm going to assume you have no idea what a serving of f/v looks like, do you? Don't lie to me. A serving of is generally one cup. This is about the size of a baseball.
The serving size is less for dried fruit (~1/4 cup). So for those of you who whine that it's just too hard to eat all of your f/v, here are some tips to show you why you're wrong:

-Add blueberries to pancake, waffle, or muffin batter
-Mix raisins, diced apple, or dried apricots into oatmeal
-Add pepper, onion, spinach, broccoli, or shredded carrot to a morning omelet
-Make a smoothie with frozen fruit, low-fat yogurt, and milk
-Top French toast with warmed applesauce (and use less or no syrup)
-Put a slice of avocado on a regular sandwich
-Add mushrooms, peppers, onions, or diced carrots to spaghetti sauce
-Add some extra mixed vegetables to soup
-Top pork chops with apples, pears, or raisins
-Top a baked potato with salsa
-Use applesauce to replace half of the oil in any recipe
-Mix dried fruit with almonds and a few M&Ms® as a snack
-Add broccoli or diced pepper to macaroni and cheese
-Blend cooked cauliflower into mashed potatoes
-Roast pears with honey and a sprinkling of ginger
-Eat a frickin' salad.
(Above information adapted from RD411.com)


Next week's topic? Fuck if I know. Probably something about vitamin D and bone health, or maybe something about probiotics and intestinal health.

No comments: