Friday, June 06, 2008

Ameratses

Due to a parking shortage, the mornings I work at the hospital I have to park at a nearby church and get bussed in with the other hospital staff who are less important than doctors. Mr. H is the 8am bus driver. He is always nice to me, giving me extra free coffee cards and asking me how my commute was. On this particular morning, I was the only one on the van. Here is Mr. H the bus driver's reaction to my impending move to Miami:

1. "Not that I'm prejudiced or anything, but those people down there, you know, they're just so lazy."

2. "I don't know, I mean, they should just go be lazy in their own countries."

3. "Can I sell you one of my guns?"

Oh man! I don't even know which "they" he was referring to! I didn't know what to say. I mean, I know that people have their ass-backwards views and all, and I know that there are people out there who take FOX news as fact (I happen to work with several of them), but it just amazes me that he repeated this out loud to someone he hardly knew, and expected- I don't know- that I would hold the same opinions?

So thanks for voting. It was the best turn out yet! The majority of you are looking forward the fewer hippies in Miami. I can't say I agree. I just finished watching the Freaks and Geeks box set I got for xmas. In the last episode, the guidance counselor lends the lead girl character "American Beauty" by the Dead, and she winds up running away for the summer to follow them. I have to say, I got a little nostalgic and put on the album. Luckily they're not around anymore or else M might have come home to an empty apartment on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Evan Kessler said...

you should follow Ratdog

Evan Kessler said...

hippie