Today I discovered that I am not very good at interviewing people. I had to interview prospective student leaders for next year, and I think I was more nervous than they were. By the 6th interview I was starting to get the hang of it, but then there were no more. And anyway, I was getting sick of asking "what would you say your greatest strength and weakness is?" and "what's your definition of diversity?". One girl was pretty young and naive. She said "um, diversity is like race and ethnicity and stuff". And when I asked her how she would handle a certain confrontational situation, she said that she would "talk to them and get to know what was, like, bothering them" and that would solve it all. She reminded me of prospective Miss America candidates who talk so ideologically about world peace, as if a pretty face and smiling a lot will take care of that. That, and hunger. Oh, what a bright smile can do for this world! I'm going to brush my teeth now, for the good of (wo)man-kind. That one's for A! (from your beloved femi-nazi).
No comments:
Post a Comment